Between Durance and Luberon, the village of Vaugines lies between 211 and 902m
above sea level and has 469 inhabitants.
This is a very old and quiet village nestled in the heart of a beautiful and wild nature. Stroll about narrow streets lined with stone houses is to fall in love with the authentic Provence.
Vaugines is part of the Luberon Regional Park. From here you can go to his discovery through the various National Trails that converge on the village.
The first names of the village in 1004 appear in the forms of "rupem Jovinum" and
"valley Jovina". Both names come from jovis resulting from Jupiter.
A legend tells that the eighteenth century Jovine (name which originated Jupiter), the 15th king of the Ligurians fought right here 300 000 Cimbri.
He besieged them in a corner of the valley and after hungry he killed 200,000. It was thanks to the feat that his name was given to the valley.
This is only a story but Jupiter the God of Olympus, it appears very present in the hamlet of Fontanilles where a Roman temple dedicated to him.
On the same site a vicus (small town Gallo-Roman) and an altar in honor of the goddess Bona Dea of Roman women were discovered.
Early Christian filed an altar currently Calvet Museum in Avignon reminded that the village was Christianized between the sixth and seventh centuries. A copy is visible inside the church of St Barthelemy. Here, as in most villages around the repression against the Vaudois was conducted at the behest of Raymond de Turenne and in 1397 the lordship of Vaugines was sacked.
The Church of XII century Romanesque Saint-Pierre Saint-Barthélemy, listed
She served as decor for the films "Jean de Florette" and "Manon des Sources" (The wedding scene from Manon). And under the plane trees, you can even sit on the bench of papet (Yves Montand).
The Priory of Notre Dame (eleventh century): It was built with stones from the Roman vicus by Benedictine monks of the abbey of St. Pierre Psalmody in the Camargue.
The houses of Renaissance style as "the
The hotel Abacuses of which is listed as historical building.
Buildings XIII and XVII century (Commandery).