In 330 m of height,close to the river "Durance", in the regional natural
reserve of Luberon, Mirabeau has a population of 1055 inhabitants.Mirabeau comes from "Mirar":see,look and "Bel":beautiful.
In 1985, movies of Claude Berri: "Jean de Florette" and "Manon des Sources", based on Marcel Pagnol novel's, were partly shot in this charming Provencal village.
It is on the board of the Saint-Sépulcre where have been discovered the
first traces of human occupation,dating from -500 before J.C.
A Gallo-Roman kiln's was discovered at a place called "le moulin".
Between 1096 and 1118, the first "Castrum" appears.
The village reached its peak in the early nineteenth century with the activity of the tray through the Durance. There were 700 inhabitants, but the first bridge built in 1835 marked the tray stop and travelers did not stop over in many hostels. The population declined to less than 500 inhabitants in the late nineteenth century.
It was built at the end of the XVIth century but did not stop evolving until XVIIIth century.We do not visit it but its park is fitted out in a public walk.
-The Church of St. Pierre:
from the 12th century,
It has a Roman's doorway, a portal of
the17th century and windows of the 19th.
The church was hit by an earthquake in 1812.
"La Chapelle de la Madeleine" (late 12th century).
-The Canteperdrix gorge.
On the cliffs near the bridge of Mirabeau can practice climbing.
-The Pillars of the Mirabeau bridge.
The first Mirabeau bridge built in the fifteenth century was partly destroyed in 1440, 1635, 1843 and 1881 by the floods of the Durance.
The idea of a suspension bridge is mentioned in 1825 and executed in 1831.
It will be completed in 1835 and carried away by the flood of November 2, 1843 and rebuilt in 1845.
The two huge neo-Romanesque portal are still visible today and recorded in a historic monument.
Destroyed during the First World War he was replaced in 1935 by a bridge of a single span overlooking the Durance.
Each pillar-illustrated by a frieze executed parAntoine Sartorio-four neighboring departments (Alpes de Haute-Provence, Bouches-du-Rhône, Var and Vaucluse). Now, these strips are joined at the center of the roundabout which is next Bouches-du-Rhone.
On the night of August 17, 1944, the Resistance blew up part of the bridge. It was repaired several days later and then completely refurbished over the years 1947-1948.
The modern bridge in 1988.