Cucuron is situated at feet of the Luberon, south side. Its altitude varies from
235m to 1105m. The town is part of the Luberon Regional Park. Its inhabitants, numbers of 1850.
This is a charming village surrounded by beautiful nature.
Beautiful walks and beautiful views await you before a well deserved aperitif around "the pond" of the village.
Over the centuries the name evolved from castrum Cucurone, Cucuroau castro in the
eleventh century, and in tertitorio Cucuronis Cucurun in the twelfth century. The current name was used Cucuron from the sixteenth century.
The place called "the Castelas" was occupied from the Neolithic.
During the early history the site of Cucuron made party of the territory of the Gauls Dexcivates.
We find traces Gallo-Roman in the plain south of the village: Villae, cemeteries and a mausoleum (tomb of Pourrières).
Cucuron and castrum appear in the eleventh century.
During the late Middle Ages, a Jewish community lived in the village. She will be expelled from it in 1501. If a minority of Vaudois also find there. A dozen of theme were executed in 1534.
During the wars of religion, Cucuron, unlike the surrounding villages, remain predominantly Catholic.
The small city will not escape the plague in 1720 and 1721 swept from Marseille.
Already left the village still has to undergo the rural exodus of the nineteenth century.
The roofs of the old village from the terrace of St
The church ND De Beaulieu Provençal Romanesque style of the thirteenth century Gothic.
The Walls, gates and towers whose belfry or "clock tower" of the thirteenth century.
Old stones and noble houses of the seventeenth century.
The Marc Deydier Museum: (Gallo-Roman archaeological collections and Neolithic, local ethnography).
The oil mill of the sixteenth century in a cave under the ramparts.
The basin of the pond in the early sixteenth century: it was built to feed a mill.
The Chapelle Notre-Dame de Beauvoir or the Hermitage.
Partly Romanesque bell tower added in 1602 there was a hermitage in 1613 and a new nave between 1614 and 1620.
Ruins of the castle including the remains of Saint-Michel square tower of the fourteenth century.
"Le Pavillon de Galon" and his garden that bears the label "Remarkable Garden".
Four night markets are held every year between July and August around the pond.
The weekly market is held on Tuesday.
The village served as the backdrop to the films "Le Hussard sur le toit" by Jean-Paul Rappeneau with Olivier Martinez and Juliette Binoche and "Une grande année" by Ridley Scott with Russell Crowe and Marion Cotillard.